Sunday 10 June 2012

Makeup for the Summer :)

For all those who need the low down on the basics of summer makeup, here it is!

First of all, your skin naturally glows in the summer - so chill it on the need to cover up! This means you don't need any highlighters and as much foundation and eye makeup.

These are the basics to the summer, natural & beautiful glow:


Left to right: bronzer, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, Jane Iredale concealer, Mascara, Sephora brow and eyelash brush, Benefit Eye Bright, Eyelash Curler.

For the summer you definitely need less foundation since your skin is more tanned - you want to let that shine through. I use a tinted moisturizer, which is great for extra moisture in dry Calgary weather, and it also has a lighter coverage. Laura Mercier is known to have one of the best on the market!


Foundation is First - remember that! It should be applied before anything else, so don't put on your concealer before foundation. Primer can be before foundation, as well as your face moisturizer, but nothing else.

After foundation is concealer. I use Jane Iredale concealer which I find is phenomenal for all day coverage! Apply concealer to any spots you need to 'conceal' ;) Jane Iredale is a great line actually for lighter makeup options - they have more natural products.

After concealer I use Benefit's Eye Bright which is probably my most favourite makeup product I've EVER bought, very seriously! You apply this to the dark circles under your eyes (FYI: you CANNOT use your concealer for this area! Your concealer should be the same colour as your skin, and hellooo the colour under your eyes is and should be lighter than the rest of your face, otherwise your eyes will look darker than normal and droppyy) so apply this pinky like concealer to that dark area under your eyes, blend smoothly in with your ring finger starting from your tear ducts and stroke down - you will be pleasantly surprised by your eye-opening results! I promise youuu!

Then comes bronzer. I use Physicians Formula bronzer - it comes with that cute and extremely convenient Kabuki brush (dense, dome shape brush - great for bronzers, mineral makeup etc.). Bronzer is a must for the summer, and should be applied in the crevices of our face right underneath the cheekbones to make them POP! Follow a 'W' shape from your ears, under your cheekbones, up around your nose and down towards the other side of your face. Also gently apply to your chin, temples and then sweep across your forehead.


After bronzer is blush :) I use Body Shop blush (NARS also has fantastic blushes, look for the one called Orgasm - sounds like it'll be good, right ;), they're famous for this blush shade!). Look in the mirror, give yourself a nice smile and apply to the plump cheekbones! With the blush residue left on your brush after, you can sweep some over your nose, chin and forehead - lightly, this will bring more colour to your face!

Following that I will curl my lashes (no need to buy an expensive one of these), try to get as close to the lash line as possible then crimp half way up your lashes for a more natural curl. There's a common idea that you should apply mascara before curling your lashes, but as simply as I can explain it, you really should not be doing this! Your lashes, because of the mascara, will stick to the curler and you can say goodbye to some lashes every time you do this. Sooo, best you don't ;)

Then comes Mascara. Honestly, there are hundreds of fabulous mascaras on the market, which can be fun! Try a few out! I will say more expensive ones will make for a better application and will last longer throughout the day - if you're gonna spend the big bucks, I recommend Lancome & Dior Show. But hey, it's a big pill to swallow, they can get pricy. Always apply starting in the inner corner and fan around your eye - use a zig zag motion to coat your lashes. My little tip that I always do is really fan out your last lashes at the outer corner - brush them up and out to get that beautiful wing effect that will make your lashes look luscious and your eyes bigger.


Lastly, this weird, dangerous looking tool I use to brush my eyebrows and comb out my eyelashes. I'll tell you why I think this tool is extremely underrated and should be a necessity for all makeup bags - I don't know about you, but I always need to brush out my eyebrows because they never fall in a normal, presentable way! Never! So I use this everyday. The other side is a lash comb which is great when your eyelashes just do not listen to you at all no matter how you move your mascara wand. This tool is more precise for that. But I find this tool to be most convenient to brush out my mascara after I've been wearing it all day so that I can brush out the dry mascara and reapply a fresh, new coat if I were to go out for the evening and don't want to wash my face to get all the mascara off and start all over again. I love it for that!! I got mine from Sephora and I highly recommend you do too! I've seen plastic ones, and you very seriously need this metal lash comb for it to work in the amazing way it can! I've had this tool for yeearss, so he's repaid himself several times over.

Hope you got some insight from this post! Would love to hear what you think, and if you would like me to touch on anything else :)

Stay beautiful,

Buddha Babes




No comments:

Post a Comment